Friday, February 17, 2017

Treatment of our Vets and the saddest story I ever heard...

While completely off subject from my intended blog, I felt compelled to share this. In part, to just simply share a message to be kind to one another and in part to share this terrible story that I feel, should be heard. We never truly know the struggles another is going through. This story touched me on so many levels. We have all experienced a loved one suffering from depression or alcoholism, Most of us know a Veteran and are aware of the effects of PTSD or perhaps we have dealt with mental illness or addiction on another level. For some, it is boldly apparent, but others can hide their struggles so well that even their closest friends and family have no idea the demons they face every day. Asking for help is never easy for anyone. Most people suffer in silence. Suicide  is the  10th leading cause of death in the United States, with over 44,000 people committing suicide yearly.  For every person who commits suicide, there are 25 attempts. That is 1,100,000 suicide attempts a year to put the numbers in perspective and although many believe the holidays are the toughest time, the most amount of suicide attempts take place in the spring. Imagine if you will, how desperate and hopeless you must feel to reach a point where you reach out for help, to feel so deeply distraught that you no longer have the will to live.  Now imagine being told nobody will help you.

This is what happened: 

Press Release

GREENFIELD - A disabled veteran died last week from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot in the lobby of a Federal Street drug treatment center, police say.
Greenfield Police Chief Robert Haigh said police continue to investigate the incident which occurred on Feb. 8 inside the lobby of the Franklin Recovery Center at 298 Federal St.
Haigh told the Greenfield Recorder that Edward Daniel Dowd, who was in his 60s, died of the gunshot wound to his head inside the lobby.
Katherine Wilson, chief executive officer of the Behavioral Health Network, which runs the Franklin Recovery Center, told The Recorder that the the agency is also investigating the death.
The Recorder reported that Dowd is listed as a disabled veteran in the city street list and was born in 1953.
This is a developing story. Additional information will be posted as soon as it is available.
This is what Daniel Dowd shared publicly on Facebook and what his family is circulating..


Dan's letter:
It’s Wednesday and I guess this is my Swan Song. I’m done. I’m going to check into God’s Hotel tonight because help has been denied. Yep. My request was denied twice. And so it goes….
I went to the detox center in Greenfield on Sunday and did an intake but my service connected PTSD overcame me and I respectfully requested to leave and I left the facility. Everybody was polite, me too, they said come back if you change your mind. I went home and reconsidered.
I came back with hope in my heart. I went back the next day, a fresh Monday, a new week, a new staff and I was trying again to get the help I needed. The new staff said no. They decided to reject me. Why? Why had I been condemned by the head of admitting on the next day Monday shift, Nancy, the utter and complete bitch refused to admit me, seriously---she was hostile and mean. Why? She told me to fuck off. She came down to the freezing cold outer foyer at midnight in Greenfield where I was waiting for an hour and opened the door and bitched me out in person right in my face. She spoke with invectives. She was adamant. She called me names. She was saying my insurance was no good. I remained courteous in my plea for help. I told her I needed to get away from my booze addiction and be admitted to do the program. She barked at me "NO!" Why would this Nancy person be hostile towards me? I have no idea. I was shocked and dismayed. I came back for help. Never saw this bitch before in my life. Why was she chastising me? Me, a stranger to her. I’m a simple veteran who was seeking help returning for the help I desperately need. I was shocked. I was thinking: "who is this bitch barking at me in this cold, unheated waiting room foyer?" She told me to leave. She kicked me out. So I left meekly, tail between my legs, beat down. Injured in my emotions by a cruel human being named Nancy. She wouldn’t tell me her last name. I don’t know where her hate came from. What the hell was that? Why on God’s Earth would this Nancy person refuse my plea for alcohol detox at an alcohol and substance abuse detox facility right here in Greenfield?
What the fuck is up with this wickedness >?< I’m here trying to quit booze and maybe nicotine and maybe caffeine. I want to do the after care routine. I get NO, I’m getting kicked out, told to leave. So I left. I remained polite in the face of this Nancy assault. But trying to heal, I came back the next day.

Tuesday. The next day dawned and I was still in pain because trying to quit booze is serious and I went back. Try again. I went again to the detox center in Greenfield, Tuesday, (yesterday), seeking help for my alcohol problem and Nancy’s subordinate shift supervisor named Jaime, came down and told me to my face in the waiting room she had orders from Nancy not to accept my valid insurance. Jamie said my insurance was invalid, (but my insurance is good, plus---you don't even need insurance for this detox program in Greenfield). Two days in a row they rejected me. What the hell?
These people are sadistic and cruel.
Jamie in the foyer last night, (so very rude in her demeanor), told me to leave. GET OUT. Jamie said: “my superior, Nancy, has said you can’t receive our help. Get out now and don’t come back.” Wow. I complied, very upset of course, but I complied. They kicked me out again. That’s twice. Why? Why be rude and cruel to me? I came in peace, I spoke politely, I never uttered a harsh word, they singled me out for some unknown reason and whipped up on my begging ass. I just wanted to work through my booze addiction. They turned me away.
I was courteous and compliant. I was seeking help. I don’t know why these cruel people decided to dislike me but that's what they did. Why in Heaven’s name did they single me out for torture? Healthcare professionals? Not at all. I was courteous in all encounters. They were just mean. Cruel.
I don’t know why. They were outright cruel to me. I never said a harsh word. Perhaps I should have, but I am flummoxed by their hostility. I just don’t understand why they were so rude and hostile when I was docile and supple asking for help. Why do you think I came here?
My insanity can't compare with theirs. I was seeking help for this nagging alcohol problem that stems from my service-connected disability. Seeking help was my current mission. I was polite.
Request denied. Kicked out twice.
I was trying to save my body but they wouldn’t accept me at the Greenfield Detox on Federal Street. I still don’t know why. I was polite, friendly, asking for help. Openly admitting that I have a problem and begging for help. I did beg. Please help me. I asked politely, I begged sincerely. The record will show: They kicked me out twice. Why?
I can’t take it anymore. I begged them to help me.
So I decided to just go ahead and give them my body as a gift since they won't help this old veteran get well. You won't help me get well? Fuck you. It’s now a gift. I’m done. You can have my body which I delivered here for healing …. and I'll be done with it. My body is now yours. The pain for me has been real. Those people at that detox center are pure evil. As you read this you will learn that I delivered my body one more time and deposited myself at the detox center one last time in dead form two bullets in my head so this time they could just call 911 requesting a body bag and get rid of me for good like they said they wanted to do. I sincerely hope I left a messy scene with blood and brain tissue everywhere. I hope I shit my pants and made a big smell. Those people at the Greenfield detox center are pure sadistic evil. I depart raising my middle finger. This veteran wonders why I served to protect them.
The bottom line is I can’t endure any more of this pain. I’m at the end of my rope. I know what to do now.
To my friends who might miss me: I tried, I really did.
Now I am beyond pain.

I left a sink full of dishes. I think there is some humor in that.


This saddened me so much. Not only because of the poor treatment our Veterans get and the inability for the civilian world to recognize the devastating effects of PTSD, but because a man who asked for help was out right denied. Nobody seeking treatment should ever be denied. Regardless of ability to pay.. Let me note that this was NOT a VA Clinic and I do realize treatment centers are overcrowded, but refusing to help another human being is not the answer. Had that center not been able to take him, every attempt should have been made to help this man get the treatment he was seeking. If nothing more, I do hope Dan's story spreads in hope that a similar situation to this does not happen. f you or someone you know is suffering from depression, please, find the courage to ask for help. If you are denied, ask for help again, from someone else or somewhere else. There are people out there to help you. Here are a few resources:























Thanks for reading and come back tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment